OC Gateway to Housing (OCGH) quickly places families in permanent homes. We initiate contact with landlords, but the lease will be in the name of the family name. OCGH provides subsidized rent, utility deposits and moving costs. Case managers ensure families receive the right referrals, emphasizing education and job-training programs that help parents increase their salaries.
Families that are eligible for this program agree to:
- pay an increasing portion of their income for rent
- assume full responsibility for rent after 12 months
- find and maintain employment that will increase family income
- develop a plan to overcome issues that led to loss of housing
- rehabilitate their credit and learn to budget
- improve life skills
Families can receive up to 12 months of subsidized child care at local centers, for which they pay a maximum of 5% of their net income. OCGH provides gas cards or monthly bus passes for transportation. With their increased income by 12 months, families can pay the full market rent themselves on the apartment. If they prefer to move, their case manager will help them find a different permanent home.